Sunday, August 9, 2015

Learning activities for toddlers - Learning alphabets with salt dough

Weekend is always a good time for me to work on my big projects that require a lot of my time. This week's project is making alphabets with salt dough. This project requires at least 2 to 3 hours of baking time. The process of making the initial is not long but the baking time takes forever. 


 
Sebastian (my little handsome 28 months old baby ) and I had a lot of fun making the alphabets. The only difference is that he was using his play dough while I used the salt dough =P.


 Let's start baking!


 Ingredients:
1 cup salt
1 cup plain flour (all purpose)
Up to half a cup of water (add bit by bit until the right consistency) 


 

Instructions:
Mix together until smooth. Knead into a stretchy dough. If it is too sticky then add more flour.

 
When the models are finished, lay them on some baking parchment (greaseproof paper) and cook on a very low heat for about 2 - 3 hours. About 100 degrees C (210 F) is enough. If the models are thick then they will need to be turned half way through and may need an extra hour.  

 

The alphabets turns out pretty good and can't wait for next weekend when we can put some colours the alphabets. I am planning to make some edible paint for him. Stay tune for my next post on edible paint.
ACTIVITIES
  1. I printed out the alphabets in an A4 paper and asked him to match it.
  2. I mixed all the alphabets in a container and get him to find the alphabets. 
  3. Next weekend activity -  Colouring the alphabets  

 



 



 





No comments:

Post a Comment