Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Father's day DIY gift idea - Salt dough fridge magnet

  

I love salt dough. It is so versatile and it only requires a few ingredients that I can find in my pantry. It can be turn into almost anything. I love to use the salt dough instead of the white dough  because it is all natural and this will ease my mind if my Sebastian ever put his fingers in his mouth when we are playing with it. (If I am working alone I might consider using white dough as they are nicer and smoother) But, my Sebastian always comes first over everything else. Previously, we made some alphabets with salt dough and I thought is a really great activity for him to learn alphabets and now he can recognised most of the alphabets. (I am super proud of him!) I also made some edible paint for him to paint his alphabets and the handprints plaque. (We had so much fun!)

Anyway, Father's day is just around the corner and my mother has requested me to help her to make some gifts for her church members to celebrate Father's day. I thought a fridge magnet will be a good idea.

 

Ingredients
1 cup of salt
(This time I actually grinded my salt with my food processor before I used it. I find that the result is better)
2 cups of flour
1 cup of water
edible colouring of your choice
(Mix the colouring with the water before combining it with other ingredients)
1/4 tsp of lavender oil
(Be careful when using essential oil for toddlers.)
Instructions
Since I have used the food processor to grind my salt. I just mix the rest of the ingredients in and 'whizzed' it away until the salt dough is well combined. I put a layer of cling wrap on my kitchen bench top just in case the colour might stained the it. Then I transferred the dough onto the work bench and using my rolling pin to roll it into a thin sheet. Then, let your imagination run wild!
Put it in the oven for 100 'c (212 'f ) for 3 hours. Turn it over after 1.5 hours. (My mum accidentally put it to 180'c and I only realised it after 1.5 hours when I was about to turn it to the other side. Therefore, when you look at my design, it looks burnt. Well, ,my mum called it the rustic look)
I bought a roll of magnetic strip from the $2 dollar shop. (Well, it actually cost me $3. ) I glued it to the back of my design and that's it! Simple and Easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment