Wednesday, August 19, 2015

DIY Homemade Natural Hair Gel



My mum has been complaining about me losing too much hair. She said if I don't take care of my hair now, I will be bald when I am her age. I frantically look for hair growth tips and I read some articles that said aloe vera and lavender oil are good for promoting hair growth. Then I thought why not make a hair gel with these two ingredients. I can 'kill two birds with one stone' - I can style and nourished it at the same time. Also, unlike commercial hair gel that contains a lot of weird ingredients, this recipe only calls for 4 and they are all natural.

Ingredients
¼ teaspoon unflavoured gelatine

½ cup hot distilled or filtered water (I used tap water)
1 tablespoon aloe vera gel

4-6 drops essential oils 

 

Directions:
Heat the water and mix in the gelatine in a small saucepan. Stir well to combine.
Once the liquid is cool and before it is set, add in the essential oils and aloe vera gel.
Stir the mixture and pour the mixture into a glass jar.  
Store the container in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or until the gelatine set.
Keep styling gel refrigerated between uses.
Gel will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.


(Some gelatine is made from animal parts. Therefore, I have a recipe especially for Vegan) 
Ingredients:
1/2 teaspoon agar-agar flakes
1/2 cup hot water
1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
 4-6 drops essential oils 


Directions:
Heat the water and mix in the agar-agar flakes in a small saucepan. Stir well to combine.
Once the liquid is cool and before it is set, add in the essential oils and aloe vera gel.
Stir the mixture and pour the mixture into a glass jar.  
Store the container in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or until the gelatine set.
Keep styling gel refrigerated between uses.
Gel will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Essential oils for hair care
Lime essential oil smells amazing, and is helpful for balancing oily hair. In a more concentrated form it may also lighten hair.

Peppermint and rosemary essential oils stimulate hair growth and add shine. Great for normal hair.

Basil, thyme, patchouli, tea tree and lemongrass have astringent properties which are beneficial for oily hair
Chamomile, lavender, sandalwood and rosemary are helpful for dry hair.

Clary sage, tea tree, eucalyptus, and patchouli are helpful for dandruff

No comments:

Post a Comment